About School Daze

Join us for children and young adult issues, how to's, organizational skills.

NaNoWriMo versus Algebra

11.19.2008




Another year and again I will be unable to participate in the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) Competition. In September I had enrolled in a Math class at the local junior college to finish up more units towards my English degree. Oh Sure! I feel like the kid that couldn’t come out to play. While so many of my writer friends are all participating in NaNoWriMo I’m figuring out the Quadratic Formula and completing the Square and stressing every time there is a test.

Can you just imagine all those writers creating stories that become novels? All those nouns, verbs, adjectives making sentences on the page and telling a story it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. I don’t get those same goose bumps solving math problems and as for the people that thought of these equations they certainly won’t be on any of dinner invite lists.

While I don’t think it’s fair to bore you with examples of my math problems on this post, I’m going to send you to some writers who are participating in NaNoWriMo 2008.

• Morgan Mandel, http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
• Laura Crawford, http://greetingsfromthepolebarn.blogspot.com


Enjoy!



National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your pants approach to novel writing. Since 1999, Participants have begun writing their novels on November 1 and their goal is to write a 175 page (50,000) word novel by midnight on November 30. https://www.nanowrimo.org

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never could understand speed-writing a novel. Just doesn't work for me, but kudos to the ones who enjoy it! Keep up the good work in your classes, Becky!

Anonymous said...

Eh, I wasn't able to participate this year either, but my reason isn't as good as yours! Maybe we should get together and hold a non-official NaNo in January. :)

Cheryl said...

I'm right there with you Becky. I haven't been able to participate in NaNo the past two years because I have other things going on.

Let's get a plan together for next year. Okay?

Cheryl

Post a Comment